Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Whitewashed Table

I found this table at a yard sale. The top is made from wide wood planks and the legs are chunky and fabulous. It didn't actually look like this at the yard sale. It was in a pile of pieces in the grass, but I knew it was going home with me.




My hubby gave me that "what is she thinking" look when I got home. But while I was at book club a few days later, he surprised me and put it all back together. Thanks dear!





A good sanding lightened the stains. They just added to the character. I loved the wood so much, I didn't want to totally cover it up. I decided to give it a whitewash and go for a beachy feel. I basically just diluted white paint with water and rubbed it on with a cloth.




It now has a beautiful aged patina.





A final coat of wax gave it a silky smooth finish. From a pile of pieces to a fabulous new table. I love it!




I'm linking to...
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/Make it Yours @ My Backyard EdenFavorite%2BThings%2BFridaybig%2Bbutton.jpgDecor Mamma

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special






12 comments:

Unknown said...

You're Welcome Babe

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

This is a great looking makeover...love the style of this table! Come by and check out my COASTAL GIVEAWAY!

Blessings,
Linda

Sarah said...

That really does look fabulous! Nice job spotting the potential!

brandi @ tales of a domestic goddess said...

beautiful! i wish i could talk my hubby into doing this to my cabinets!!

visiting from a few of my favorite things!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

What a great idea to whitewash it...Great table and I also love the legs...well done

Anonymous said...

Wow...this table turned out fabulous!! What a great alternative to painting! Thanks for this wonderful inspiration. :)
I came over via Funky Junk Interiors SNS party.
Have a great day!
~ Jo

Cassie said...

Beautiful! You've got a great eye!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

gorgeous!
gail

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Oh I love that! How cool that your hubby worked with you on it. Mine would have tossed it away when I was gone!
I've never heard of waxing over a finish. What kind do you use?
Found you from Donna's SNS party..

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

That is beautiful! The whitewash is perfect on it.


Well done!

Sue said...

Your find turned out really well! Love the whitewash finish. Where are you putting it?

Barbara said...

Sharon beautiful job! You are a talented lady...