Saturday, July 24, 2010

Soft Gray China Cabinet

I picked this china cabinet up at the Goodwill a few weeks ago for just $20. I got lucky because it had just arrived and had not even been priced yet. It had a matching buffet, but it seemed like the drawers were glued shut. They just wouldn't budge. I even went back the next day because I kept thinking about it. By then, several handles had been broken off and there was a woman trying to pry a drawer open with a butter knife. Next thing I knew, she broke the drawer front right off. I'm not sure what happened after that, but I was just happy to call this piece mine!






It was really in very good shape, inside and out. And I knew a fresh color would make a traditional piece like this look new again.





The prep time always takes longer than you think.





I chose Martha Stewart's Bedford Gray for the exterior and Glass of Milk for the interior. I liked the subtle color contrast. And it's neutral enough to let pretty dishes really shine.




I really should have more pictures of the painting process because I spent a lot of time on this project. I followed up the paint with a light distressing and a black glaze. Then I finished it up with a coat of wax.





This was my first project with glass doors, a bit tedious. I was going for subtle, so I painted the bottom handles to match the cabinet, but I added a pretty new black knob to the top.





I needed some extra muscle to help move this piece , so I ended up taking the "after" pictures as it was starting to get dark. I think you get the idea.




It was fun to take on a large piece, but definitely took a little extra time and patience!



I'm linking to...

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special



Favorite%2BThings%2BFridaybig%2Bbutton.jpg inspired room



Chic on a Shoestring Decorating Furniture Feature Fridays

All Thingz Related


 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/ UndertheTableandDreaming




24 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

what a great find- that is adorable!!! love the size and shape, and you know i love gray! as for paitnting with glass doors- you know paint comes right off glass. i always just paint right on and then once everything has dried for a day, i get out my windex, spray the glass, and scrape off the paint with my scraper. i find hat so much easier than removing the glass since i have sometimes had trouble with that and once broke a big piece of glass.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I love the gray and the white interior, dishes will so nice in it!

Rondell

Jeralee said...

$20.00 - wow. You could never find something that nice for $20 at our Goodwill. You scored.

It turned out lovely. I love the Before and After.

Getting paint off of glass, I just always use a widget or straight edge razor to peel it oof.

Jennifer said...

Awesome deal!!!! I love what you did with it!!!

Lee Laurie said...

That was a great find! What a bargain. It turned out so nice.

NanaDiana said...

Just round you-don't ask how-I don't know where I was when I started-lol Anyway, love your re-dos and am signing up as a follower. My daughter and I are just debating about opening a little shop and we will have a lot of re-do's in it. Glad I found you- Diana

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life said...

That looks great in grey!! Only 20 bucks you got luuucky!! I just finished up an armoire and I love doing bigger pieces its such a huge gratification at the end!

Laura @ Just For Love said...

Thank you so much, Sharon! I appreciate your comment and thanks for stopping by : )

Your china cabinet turned out beautifully!

Lots of love,
Laura

Carrie said...

What an excellent find...and you refinished it beautifully!

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

Love the way it turned out! It looks French and Swedish...my favorite styles!

LUCKY 7 DESIGN said...

It looks great, what a great deal and transformation. I have to get busy, I keep seeing all these hutch transformations and I have one in the garage half done and the other is on my front porch waiting to get painted. Im inspired and hope to be done soon.

Heaven's Walk - said...

Hi! Just popped over from Met Monday.

Beautiful job! I adore the the soft gray color and the way you distressed and glazed it. I'm always terrified to distress and glaze or wax anything after I paint it...but you have certainly inspired me! :) I love it!

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

Lori said...

No way, $20.00, you got a steal deal. And you made it look wonderful.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

This is one NIFTY THRIFTY $20 TREASURE...outstanding find! Thanks for coming to NTT...hope you are having are FUN time.

Blessings,
Linda

Ellie said...

Gorgeous! I want one! Stopping by from Nifty Thrifty Tuesday.

Meg said...

Great job! Visiting from All Thingz Related! Hope you can check out my blog for a fun giveaway!
alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

Have a great night!

foxxy said...

You did an amazing job! It looks so chic now.

elizabeth said...

What a great find. You did a fabulous job!
Elizabeth
www.justfollowingjesus.com

Fresh Poppy Sisters said...

I want to paint furniture gray! Turned out great! I am following, would love if you followed me too :)

Jessica said...

What a funny story about finding it. I do the same, go, see a piece I like, leave, think about it, go back the next day to buy it.

Great idea with the color difference, it looks wodnerful!

Kim said...

What a stunning piece. I'm always envious when someone finds a piece with this pretty of lines. Good job.

oops! said...

Beautiful! I love gray and there are so many paint colors to choose from, so Thanks for sharing what color you used!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

You did a great job on it. I really like the gray and the contrasting white is a nice touch.

The Irish Poodle said...

I love the grey !! I'm doing my dining room chairs and table grey. What did you wax this with ....?