Thursday, February 17, 2011

As Seen In Pottery Barn

Yesterday I posted about our weekend project of framing out all of the bathroom mirrors in our townhouse. This is our master bathroom before.


And after. You can read the complete tutorial here.




Well this morning I'm catching up on the stack of mail that accumulated while we were away and I saw this picture in the Pottery Barn Bed And Bath catalog. It's the Sonoma Double-Width Wall Mirror framed out in white trim just like our giant mirrors. Of course it looks amazing in front of that window, but that's probably not going to happen in most homes. Picture it hanging on the wall.






And the "be inspired at Pottery Barn design tip" reads "place a white mirror above a dark wood console for contrast".







And that's exactly what we did. This is a picture of the dark wood in our powder room. All the cabinetry in the house is this color.







And now all of our bathrooms have white framed mirrors that look pretty much
like the ones in Pottery Barn. I was going going for a soft cottage look.
I'd say Pottery Barn and I are on the same page,
don't you think?




Oh, except for one thing, the price. The Pottery Barn mirror comes to $459.93 each, with tax and delivery. My mirror project cost a total of $49.48 for all three bathrooms. Or just $16.50 per mirror!!! Wow! I was already in love with my mirrors. Now I'm just plain giddy! I can't wait till my husband gets home so I can show him that we are not only stylish, but we saved alot of money! Hmmm ... now I think I should go shopping for accessories to decorate my bathrooms!



16 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your frames. They look fabulous. I so need to do mine. Great job. Hugs, Marty

American in Bath said...

Why would anyone cover any of the window with a mirror? That's a complete waste of daylight.

We're in the middle of a rainy week. Can you tell?

Cassie Bustamante said...

so you saved about $443 per mirror, so that means you have $1329 to decorate with, right? i mean, that's what you saved! he he- doesn't that sound like good rationalization!

Joyce said...

It looks great, I love the contrast

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

It looks great! I've always wanted to do that. It really makes a huge difference!

NanaDiana said...

Well...Sharon...I don't know what the big deal is...you only saved $410.45 Plus shipping and handling~~;>) You rock, girl! xxoo Diana

Marlene McGarrity said...

I must ask you - where is your sink setup from?

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

Great job. I love framed mirrors so much more that those sterile, unframed ones.... We framed out our bathroom mirror too but your's look way better than what we did... hmmmm, maybe a new project for us!

~Chris

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Well, there's never been any doubt that you're stylish...and thrifty, Sharon. Isn't it amazing how much the little things make such a difference in our décor?

Years ago, I hung an ornate mirror on a window dressed in toile drapes with a lace panel in the lower section. There was a gorgeous dresser in front of that window, and I loved how unique the mirror looked above it. You can see it here: http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/2010/03/its-little-things.html

Of course, the Yankee thought I was nuts. Now, I can show him your post and tell him I was just being a trendsetter. lol

Have a wonderful weekend! And if you haven't entered the giveaway, be sure to do so.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Chrissie said...

Your mirrors look great! PB has nothing on you, oh except super high prices!

Simply Bungalow said...

Looks great I've always wanted to try this.
~Heidi

Jeannie said...

I really wanted to do the same thing, but chickened out. Instead, bought an inexpensive mirror at Walmart and hung it up. It looks great. You can see my project at http://forwhatitsworth-jeannie.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I did the samme thing with very fancy mokding painted with hammered gold spray paint. Beautiful, and I did it by myself !

Sid Klooster said...

I have the same mirrors except one of my mirrors is 3 feet tall by 8 feet wide. So I was thinking of 'splitting' it by making 3 frames using your method. What are your thoughts? Would it work visually?

Sid Klooster said...

I have the same mirrors except one of my mirrors is 3 feet tall by 8 feet wide. So I was thinking of 'splitting' it by making 3 frames using your method. What are your thoughts? Would it work visually?

Bunny Lover said...

Looks great. I cannot tell if your original mirror has a "J-Track" at the bottom to hold it up. That's what mine has, and I wonder if this method would work on my mirror. If your original mirror is supported that way, how did you accomodate for that?? Thanks!