Monday, March 14, 2011

Creating Mossy Clay Pots

Don't you love the look of this mossy clay pot?

It's so natural and organic.


{Matha Stewart}


I already have a collection of clay pots at various stages of natural aging. But I really want that deep green mossy patina.



Well, with a little help from Martha, I'm doing a little experiment to see if I can create my own mossy pots. MARTHASTEWART.COM offers several techniques for giving your pots the look of age and character without waiting for Mother Nature to make it happen.


I chose the yogurt method. It's super simple and Martha says it will give you the most natural looking patina. For a true test, I started out with some brand new pots which you can pick up at any garden center for under $1 each. Basically just slather yogurt all over your pots with a foam brush and set them outside in a shady area.





I bought plain old yogurt.







And then put my pots in the shady corner of my front porch.


Hopefully I'll see results in a few weeks. I will keep you posted!




I do have some yogurt leftover. I think I'll try this on a batch of my older pots to see if that makes any difference. In the meantime, I don't want anyone to eat my experiment.






Hmmm, we do have lots of squirrels and other critters in our neighorhood.


I wonder if they like yogurt?



3 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

This is very interesting. I can't wait to hear how this turns out!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

how cool! a project you can snack on while you work! ;) really i can't wait to see the result!

Chrissie said...

I cant wait to see the results!