Saturday, July 30, 2011

Layers of Ruffles

I made this layered ruffled pillow as a birthday present for my friend Renae.




When we were at the Lucketts Spring Market back in May, Renae spotted this beauty in The Design House. It was gorgeous, but had a hefty price tag of $89. She left without it, but I knew right then and there that I'd be making one for her birthday. Luckily, I snapped a few quick pictures before we headed out.





The photo below is from The Design House website. Just look at that luxurious, yummy bed. It's almost too pretty to sleep in! And right there in the center of the bed is the layered ruffled pillow. The Design House is a monthly interior design showcase and an inpiring shopping experience all-in-one!







Once I got started on my pillow creation, I was really wishing that I had looked at the original more closely. Let's just say that there was a good bit of trial and error going on well into the wee hours of the morning on this one. But here are the basics to get you started. I used osnaburg fabric for my pillow. It's soft, natural and gathers really nicely. I purchased an 18" x 18" pillow form , so the first step was to cut two 20" x 20" squares.







I first used stripes to paper to simulate the ruffles and then decided I wanted the ruffles to be about six inches deep. I cut four 8" wide strips to allow for tuning the edges under. A general rule of thumb for ruffles is twice your length. Since my fabric was 45" wide, I just went with that.





I started at the bottom and worked my way up. For the three bottom ruffles, I turned all the edges under before attaching them to the pillow. Megan is much better at gathering than I am, so she ran a basting stitch through the strips and gathered them for me. (Have I mentioned that I'm loving every moment of having my girl home again!)









Figuring out the placement of the ruffles was by far the hardest part of this project. To be honest, it was downright frustrating! I'm sure there is a nice mathematical formula for getting everything just right, but I just played with it until it looked good. Once I was happy with the proportions, I flipped the strips over to stitch them down.






The seams are all covered by the ruffles.






For the top ruffle, I left the raw edge along the top because that would be stitched into the seam when I attached the front and back of the pillow and I didn't want any extra thickness here.



Before I stitched the front and back together, I pinned all the ruffles inward so they wouldn't get caught in the side seams. Then I pinned the right sides together and sewed all around, leaving an opening in the bottom to flip the right sides back out. The opening was then hand stitched closed.









And there you have it. My version of The Design House ruffled pillow. I think it turned out pretty darn cute!














I won't kid you and say this one was easy. But I was really happy with the result and it's always worth the extra effort to make something special for someone you care about. And when I got frustrated, I just kept repeating to myself, "I will not be defeated by a pillow!"




Renae, this one's for you! I hope it reminds you of our excellent shopping adventures. Happy birthday girlfriend!


I'm linking to...


Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special Tickled Pink at 504 Main




Photobucket freckled laundry





Photobucket Designer Garden

Beyond The Picket Fence



Photobucket Very Merry Vintage Style Blog Button





Making Mod Vintage Life


The Girl Creative
Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party





UndertheTableandDreaming The DIY Show Off


I Heart Naptime
Blue Cricket Design
Primp
The Shabby Chic Cottage

42 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

not only is it beautiful, but that is such a sweet, and thoughtful gift. you are a wonderful friend and renae is lucky to have you!

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Sharon ~
That is absolutely gorgeous!!
I am such a ruffle girl!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

So glad you were not defeated by a pillow! ;-) Your hard work paid off--it's delightful.

Katie said...

Sharon this is great!! You did a perfect job on it! I bet your friend will love it! These are the best kinds of gifts to make and receive!!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I LOVE it!! and what a precious gift from the heart!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Sharon, The pillow is gorgeous and I know Renae will love it.
xo,
Sherry

Unknown said...

What a darling sweet gift.
Have a beautiful PS weekend ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

At this point in our lives it's hard to come up with original gift ideas for girlfriends...but this is wonderful. I can only imagine how touched your friend will be...well done. Have a great Sunday.

Our Hopeful Home said...

What a lovely gift! She's so lucky to have you as a friend! I love it.

xoxo
Kathleen

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

There's no better gift than one that is handmade and specially tailored to a friend's likes and taste. And this is beautiful!

NanaDiana said...

That is just darling- I love it. When I first opened your blog I thought it was a tote bag..and then realized it is even better- It's a pillow~! I LOVE IT! Great job-xo Diana

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

sorry about that! I love it! So if I just mention to you that I like something....hmmmm.... Just kidding! It turned out so sweet!

Nancy said...

I just love ruffles, and your Pillow is absolutely Gorgeous!!

Nancy
coeurdalenegifts.blogspot.com

Kathy said...

LOVE IT! I like what you said - when I get stuck I tell myself not to give up - I won't be defeated! Love your thoughtful gift to your friend - she'll treasure it all the more!
Kathy

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

Sharon I love this pillow! I'm currently working on a "re-do" for my bedroom and this pillow would be fabulous! Thanks for the VERY detailed instructions so the rest of us won't have to figure it all out!! :)

~Chris

PS And having your daughter close by again? I agree it's fantastic! Mine moved back to Seattle (1 1/2 hour drive) and I'm thrilled!

Karen said...

That is so pretty,I love ruffles but haven't made anything ruffled yet. Your friend is so lucky I know she will love it.

vintagesue said...

hi sharon. love that pillow!! you not only saved yourself some $$$ by making your own, you have your own style with the one you made!! super awesome!! i've made layered ruffle pillows out of thrift store skirts before. so easy and cheap!!!
thanks for sharing. hope your friend enjoys her gift!!! i'm sure she will.
take care
sue

Okio B Designs said...

I just love your ruffles! I haven't mastered them yet but I'm going to try some of your tips - thanks for sharing! Coming over from Met Monday and your newest follower!

Jeanine

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Lovely, Sharon! Your friend is going to love it! I love working with Osnaberg ~ I can get that linen or burlapy look with spending a lot or feeling itchy! : )

Cindy said...

What a sweet project! Very pretty to look at, too. Thanks for explaining how you did it, sometimes it takes me longer to figure out how to do something than it does to actually do it. I know your gf must have been thrilled to receive it, too.
Hugs, Cindy

Abby said...

So pretty! I really need to make one now!

The Painted Parlor said...

I L*O*V*E this!! I want one!! ;)

Julie

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

I know that you have so many blog parties to choose from so thank you for choosing Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. This amazing post added to the party blast! Enjoy the rest of the week :)

Mariel@ www.sexymodeststyle.com said...

your ruffly pillow turned out CAute!


Come link this up at my wooty woot woot party!!
http://tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com/

Sue said...

Sure do like this copycat version of the ruffled pillow! Your pal was the recipient of a great gift. :-)

Tammy said...

Great job! Beautiful pillow!!!Thanks for sharing it with us.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

TOO CUTE! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

colorchic said...

I'm loving ruffles right now! and your pillow is fabulous!

Angie said...

I love your pillow! I'm up to my eyeballs in ruffles right now,too! Making bags....thanks for sharing, I love the idea :)

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Gorgeous pillow, Sharon. I know Renae must have been so surprised and THRILLED to get such a special gift.

Thanks for linking to the party. I love having you join the fun.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Found you on Open House Party, love the ruffles on the pillow, what a lucky friend to get such a neat gift!

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

I'm a ruffle kinda gal...so I'm lovin' this! Great job on your creation and how sweet that you took notice that your friend wanted one like it :)
Big hugs,
Queenie

Megan Gunyan said...

Ah, what a great friend you are! I want a ruffle pillow--my birthday is this month! ;)- I'm loving it and you provided a great tutorial, so I'll have to give it a try! I'd love for you to share this on my link party today! www.alittleknickknack.com Have a great weekend!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sharon, I just wanted to drop by again to thank you for joining the Open House party this week. Have a great weekend!
xo,
Sherry

Michelle@ourwonderfilledlife.com said...

So cute and sweet!! I have had that same thought myself..this pillow will not get the best of me, ha!
Found you at TaterTater Tots and Jello. Now following you. Would love for you to come visit.

michelle
{www.ourwonderfilledlife.com}

Mimi said...

I love this sweet post! What a dear you are to persevere and make this for your friend. It's such a beautiful pillow! That is one lucky Birthday Girl :) Priceless!

Nita Stacy said...

Oh this ruffle pillow is cute. I need one of these. Thanks for linking up at Mod Mix Monday!

Jenn Erickson said...

Sharon, it's beautiful and a dead-ringer for the one your friend saw in the store. Looks like your trial and error definitely paid off.

Thank you so much for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me...". I'm featuring your post on my FB page.

Jenn

very merry vintage style said...

This is so pretty--just love those ruffles--great gift! Thanks for linking to Share the Love Wednesday. Hope you'll be back this week!
Mary

Unknown said...

Oooh...love this. That was so nice of you to make that for her, Elizabeth! Featuring this tonight. Thank you for linking with air your laundry Friday!

xo
Jami

Unknown said...

I knew I called you Elizabeth! I was typing up your feature and thought, "Oh, no!" Sorry about that. :)