Thursday, September 22, 2011

Will Paint For Cupcakes!

I just discovered that I will paint furniture for cupcakes!




Our friend Julie came to Elizabeth & Co. in search of a piece of furniture for a very specific spot. She was browsing around and fell in love Megan's Paris Grey Vanity/Desk. The size was just right and she loved the character and the details. The little wheels made it a little higher and that was perfect too. She also loved Megan's technique of painting the drawers a different color. But Megan decided that she couldn't part with this one and she's using it as a desk in her new apartment.










But luckily for Julie, I just happened to have the dresser that matched the vanity (they came out of a barn!) and it was sitting in my garage just waiting patiently for a makeover and a new home. And the extra storage made it a perfect fit for Julie.














Even in it's before state, this was just one darn cute dresser!








Following Megan's cue, Julie wanted to go with a light gray/dark gray color combination. She chose two shades that she already had on her walls - Benjamin Moore's Chelsea Gray and a color from the new Pantone line of paint from Lowe's in Goat. After a good scrubbing, a little repair work and a thorough sanding, the entire piece got three coats of paint. But at that point, I just was not sure that I was loving these two colors together. Something just wasn't right. Then I knew exactly what it needed - a little black glaze to tie it all together. I went back to my tried and true favorite, Valspar's Clear Mixing Glaze with a little black paint mixed in. I write about this often. It just might be my very favorite paint product! Just brush it on with a sponge brush and wipe it off with a soft cloth. It comes out perfect every time!










I finished up with a light distressing and a few coats of poly. Julie liked the original hardware, so we just went with black.
















Ok, now I really loved it!















Isn't she pretty? And the colors really do work nicely together!

















And I'm so glad that Julie loved it too!






She loved it so much that a few days later I found this piece in my driveway.


It is the center section of a very old drop leaf table.












The supports are actually a really nice detail, don't you think? I love the way they create a pretty little apron.









I painted this one in just the darker gray color - Benjamin Moore's Chelsea Gray.































Wouldn't this make a great sofa table?






But Julie had another plan. A really big plan. She's a girl after my own heart, chasing after a dream. She's opening her own restaurant! J Cafe is coming soon to downtown Westminster!





And here's the little table in the entry.






And my dresser is in the dining room. How cool is that! And are you peeking around the corner trying to see you more of J Cafe? Don't worry, I took lots more picture!









And yes, I really will paint furniture for cupcakes. Because these carrot and cream cheese cupcakes are melt-in-your-mouth delicious! Oh Julie, they are sooo good!!!









J Cafe officially opens next week. I'll have more pictures and all the details next time. Plus a review of the chocolate cupcakes too! Oh yum!!! I wonder how many different flavors Julie makes? I'll get back to you on that!







Primp Your Stuff Wednesday



41 comments:

Katie said...

I love how it turned out, but I love it even more in the cafe!! It's so fun getting to see a piece of furniture in it's new home! It looks perfect!!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

This looks fantastic -- I love it!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

How fun to have two of your pieces on "display" like that! I love the two tone effect on the dresser and that table is fabulous! Now we'll all be on the lookout for broken down tables like that! It's amazing what a "little paint" can do for something.

~Chris

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

it's adorable, Sharon! I love those colors together! That cupcake looks awesome!!!!

Lee Hill Primitives said...

They looks fantastic. Those pieces are beautiful, great color too.

Cassie Bustamante said...

wow, sharon! i can see why you love it- it is amazing! love the colors and the glazing!

Twice Nice said...

Very, very awesome! How fun to see them in the cafe where so many people will get to admire them! Way to go! deb

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Sounds like a great trade to me! Love the new pieces.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Really wondeful paint jobs! I'm painting a 60's chest of drawers a Cottage gray, I picked up a few tips from this post, thanks for sharing!

The Frosted Gardner said...

Oh these are so fun! And just think of everyone who will sit and gaze at them while awaiting some scrumptious wonderful food! Love love!

An Urban Cottage said...

Very nice, classy job. Not overdone, just perfect.

Allison@FabRehab said...

So, SO gorgeous! Both of them!!

Honey at 2805 said...

You just keep turning out great projects, Sharon!

I would be delighted if you would link to Potpourri Friday (in progress) and giveaway!

Kristen said...

So beautiful! I loved the dresser, but I loved the table even more!

paige said...

Wow...I love the gray..it's great! I'd love to have you link up at my new linky party -

Creative Genius @ http://www.thecreativepaige.com

Restore and Renew said...

You did such a good job on the pieces. I am a new follower.

laxsupermom said...

Terrific makeovers! Love how soft and pretty the grey is! It's so nice to have your work on display in a new restaurant. You'll have to make sure to have a few business cards available, because I'm sure people are going to be knocking down your door for more pieces. Thanks for sharing.

oops! said...

Really nice! Great pieces, with such character! I paint alot of furniture for Boutiques and hair salons! I love it because, they usually want Fun pieces! Never a restaurant though!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Love those pieces! They look fantastic. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Judy @ In His Grip said...

These are great. I am doing one of my guest rooms in grey and I love the colors that you used.

Phyllis @Around the House said...

wow...what beautiful makeovers...It can become so addictive, making things beautiful as you do...I also love doing makeovers...I don't think I am great but I enjoy...I am a new follower...come for a visit...phyllis

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I just love the desk! I hope you will add your lovely metamorphosis' to my Fall in Love linky party on Wednesday.

Until then, stop by and see the under $20 makeover I gave an ugly brass light fixture.

Happy Monday!

Anonymous said...

I love it! The color is amazing.
www.shabbytochicqueencreek.blogspot.com

Sarah Yoder said...

These are all amazing! I love the colors! I just started re-finishing some furniture myself. Amazing what a little elbow grease and paint can do! Thanks for sharing...good inspiration!

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Each of these is so classic! You couldn't have made them any more lovely. :)

PS I have a $50 cash giveaway going on on my blog right now. Come by when you get a chance! :)

Kahli said...

I love Paris Grey! You did a fantastic job!

akawest said...

The colors are gorgeous. Painting for cupcakes is a great plan.

Our Hopeful Home said...

I'd paint for those cupcakes, too!

Love the dresser and the table, very delicate looking and perfect colors. Great job! And thanks for linking up over at Club G.W. with Charm Bracelet Diva! Have a great week!

xoxo
Kathleen

6th Grade said...

love all of the pieces you featured! i'm now inspired to go for the two-tone gray look. just have to find myself a dresser as beautiful as yours now!!

amy

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Love love lovin' the grays and how your glaze trick tied it all together! And, yes, I'd work for cupcakes, too. ;-)
Visiting from BNOTP~
Heidi @ Show Some Decor

Pamela said...

Beautiful pieces as always!! I think I would paint for cupcakes too!;)

Marilyn said...

Hi there.. I absolutely LOVE your blog.. Found ya via linky party over at Trendy Tree House and officially following ya with smiles.. Great creativity here.. So indulged.. I'm Marilyn via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/ and I'd love for you to stop in sometime. Have a great Wednesday. : ))

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

gorgeous piece! it has my wheels turning for a dresser project i have.

Mandy said...

I would definitely paint for that cupcake! Beautiful! Id love it if you shared this at my link party. Www.projectqueen .org
Enjoyed your blog. I'm a follower.

Ricki Treleaven said...

The furniture turned out *gorgeous* I would paint for scrumptious cupcakes, too. I do not blame you at all! I am visiting from Mod Mix Monday.

Jessica said...

beautiful pieces!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sharon, Both pieces turned out wonderful. I can see why your client was so happy. Thank you for linking to the Open House party this week.
Hugs,
Sherry

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

wow! The dresser is beautiful. I just blogged about a dresser that I refinished. (mammaw's dresser) I wanted to paint it, jamie wanted me to refinish it. It's a good thing it was already done when I saw this post!
great job!
gail

Anonymous said...

They look great!! I love the colors. This would be a great addition to my blog party. I hope you'll join!!http://www.alchemyfineliving.com/blog/2011/09/28/from-trash-to-treasure-8/

Michelle said...

I've discovered that Owatrol paint additive is a great help to make a furniture look great and shining when you put some. It will add longevity and durability of the paint on the furniture.

Marie said...

Love how it turned out! What a fun cafe! Thanks so much for linking up with us at Show & Share! Hope you’re joining us again this week!
http://mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com/2011/10/show-share-8.html

Marie
Mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com