Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Just a Touch of Blue

This pretty tall chest was a lucky yard sale find. I loved the curves and immediately thought I'd go soft blue and white.


Of course it started out brown. And a really fake-looking brown at that. But it was in really great shape.


And even though I was using chalk paint, I still gave it an overall light sanding with a sanding sponge. I just love those things. I buy them in the contractor's multi-packs.


I used a combination of Old White and Louis Blue. And at first I thought I'd like a whole lot more blue to bring out all the details. But when I slid one of the drawers back in and stepped back, I decided that just a touch of blue was the way to go.


Yes, much better. It was just nice and subtle!



And I distressed this one just a little more than usual. My friend Kim over at A Brush of Whimsy is the master of heavy distressing. I love her work! I think you probably see the words "light distressing" in almost every painting post I write. So I thought I'd break out of my comfort zone just a bit!



I kept the original hardware and I love the way it looks with chalk paint.


Gosh, I love that curvy top!





 
This one sold at our tag sale the minute the guys carried it onto the porch. The tag disappeared so fast that I thought it blew away. I still get excited when a piece finds a happy home and a new life!


I'm linking to...



Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party

504 Main Furniture Feature Fridays


fingerprints on the fridge thecreativepaige.com




Photobucket It's a KeeperDesigner Garden


A Crafty Soiree A Glimpse Inside



Somewhat SimpleBeyond The Picket Fence

Treasure Hunt Thursday From My Front Porch To Yours

35 comments:

Allison@FabRehab said...

So pretty!!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Lovely touch of blue and nice distressing! I also use the term "light distressing" in most of my posts.

Twice Nice said...

I'm not at all surprised that dresser was snapped up so quickly. gorgeous! Deb

Chrissie said...

It's beautiful! Not a wonder it sold so fast.

Tote said...

I loved it. I can see why it sold right away!

Katie said...

Gorgeous!! It looks so much nicer now - love that color combo! Awesome find!

Our Hopeful Home said...

It's so beautiful! The colors are fabulous together. I never used to like light blue but now I'm a fan!

xoxo
Kathleen

Deborah March said...

GORGEOUS...no wonder it sold so quickly!

Deborah ♥♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/... hope you can stop by some time...)

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

It is so pretty! I love the itty bit of blue with the white! What a sweet compliment you gave me, too! :)

NanaDiana said...

That is a beauty, for sure! Just the right amount of blue for my taste! LOVE it! xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

That is a beauty, for sure! Just the right amount of blue for my taste! LOVE it! xo Diana

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I love the touch of blue! No wonder it sold so quickly!

Favourite Vintage Finds said...

Gorgeous makeover! I'm not surprised either that it was snapped up!

Anonymous said...

The touch of blue caught my eye because I painted a dresser blue just yesterday. Love the way yours turned out. What beautiful lines!

Visiting from No Minimalist Here. Following you now. :)

Pamela said...

Looks amazing as always!

c. Joy said...

Wow. Looks good. I like the mix of colors - deciding how much or how little to add is what takes me the longest on my projects.

Brave Brooke said...

I love the hint of blue. Those details are awesome!

Cottage and Broome said...

Love your redo, looks wonderful. Laura Cottage and Broome

Angie Holden said...

Gorgeous!! I love it!!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Loving this- what a great redo!! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Just so pretty. What a beauty she is now! Visiting from A Glimpse Inside. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/10/chest.html

Honey at 2805 said...

The white with a touch of blue is so pretty and elegant!

Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation!

Mandy said...

This is beautiful! I'm your newest follower.

Amanda said...

I always love the pieces you do and this is no exception. I LOVE white and blue together and this dresser has a great balance! Coming over from My Repurposed Life...have a great day!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Love the hardware and the blue looks so good! Now I want to do that:)

Andrea said...

This is beautiful! I love the subtle hint of blue.

Curtains in My Tree said...

beautiful love it

i have looked for a chest similiar to that all summer only one i found was $200. !!!!!! and needed paited

you did a great job , can you deliver to Missouri ? LOL

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sharon, I see why it sold so quickly..it is a beautiful piece! Thank you for linking to the Open House Party and have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Sherry

Julie said...

VERY nice! No wonder it sold so fast!

Coloradolady said...

So pretty! I have some furniture I need to redo, just can not seem to get started! Happy VTT!

Sarah said...

very beautiful! well done :)

Karena said...

Beautiful, I adore your color choices!! Great job!!

PS Come let me know what you think of my Autumn decor and oh, I have a New Giveaway!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

paige said...

I love the colors...the blue is perfect! Thanks for linking up to the Creative Genius Link Party!

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

The bit of blue looks great! Whoever got a hold of that dresser is a lucky ducky.

Chris said...

Hi Sharon, what a wonderful job you did on that chest. Congratulations. I recently found your blog and am now following. Please pop on over to my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. I would really like that. Hugs, Chris