Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Ice Candles

Today is officially the first day of winter. I think someone forgot to tell Mother Nature! Our forecast is calling for temperatures near 60 degrees. Hmmm, not what I was expecting. And I'm not usually one to complain about warm weather, but I really like the holiday season to be cold and snowy. And I was hoping to make some beautiful new ice candles to welcome our holiday guests, but it is just too warm at the moment. This was one of my favorite projects from last winter. And since we have lots of new followers, I'm going to share it again. If it's cold where you are, then you are in luck. You can make ice candles!




I made these on the morning of a gathering at my house, so I made them fairly small. I needed them to freeze by evening. But you can get creative with the size and shape. Big chunky ones would be fabulous! Just fill a waterproof container with water. Add a second smaller container also filled with water for weight. The smaller container should float so that there is space for ice to form under it. The space created by the smaller container creates a cavity for a candle.




Filling the outside edges with cranberries helped to center the smaller container and just made the candle so pretty! Get creative. Orange or lemon slices and some greenery and pinecones would look really great too.



I put the containers in my freezer to help them freeze faster, but this will work outside as long as the temperature is below freezing. Once they were frozen, I just ran some warm water over the larger container and they popped right out.




I added candles and nestled them in a basket of greenery and pinecones.




Warm and welcoming, don't you think?




And they will last outside as long as the temperature stays below freezing or you can pop them in your freezer to keep them from melting on a warm day. You can even use them indoors for a special occasion. Just be sure to put them in a container that allows room for the melting water. And even indoors, they will melt fairly slowly.


Is it cold where you are? Make some warm and welcoming ice candles!


Happy Holidays!

I'm linking to...

Cherry World 1




The Girl Creative

Todays Creative Blog

The DIY Show OffDays of Chalk and Chocolate




Beyond The Picket Fence





17 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Beautiful candles Sharon and No it's not cold...in the 70's today, but will be in the 50's on Christmas:) Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Blessings,
Linda

Cassie Bustamante said...

i remember you made these last year! they are gorgeous! yes- what is up with the weather today? i want winter! i want snow! at least for the week. :)

Sarah Yoder said...

What a great project! I know what you mean about the weather! It has been super warm here in Ohio, too! (not that ia m complaining!)
have a beautifil Christmas!

Laura said...

those are beautiful

NanaDiana said...

Very, very cute. I love it! It is cold here and we finally got a smattering of snow which made the kids happy.

Merry Christmas to you, Sharon...it has been fun getting to know you this year! xo Diana

Ali Richardson said...

This is such a great idea and they are SO SO pretty!! Awesome! I'm afraid it wouldn't work out too well in CA, ha ha! Merry Christmas :)

Barb said...

Sharon, this is so festive and downright adorable.

Merry Christmas!

Barb

Honey at 2805 said...

The candles are beautiful, Sharon! So fabulous and festive!

Thank you for sharing this beautiful post at Potpourri Friday! Have a very Merry Christmas and wonderful Holiday Season!

Ann said...

Wish it was cold enough here too, we got snow earlier this week. Have a wonderful christmas.

Kellie Collis said...

How wonderful! Have a lovely Christmas, Kellie xx

Beth Bryson said...

Hi Sharon,
These candles are so neat! Love the cranberries! Thank you for writing such a lovely post! I am visiting from 2805. Merry Christmas! ~Beth @ Flair For Home

Krystyl said...

Hi there, I found you VIA 'creative bloggers party & hop' ...
hope you can spare a minit to check out my blog and follow ...
I'm fairly new and truly appreciate EVERY follower I can get
You can Check me out here;
http://krystylco.blogspot.com/

Terry said...

What a great idea! Thank you! They really are very pretty!

G Inspires said...

That is an awesome and unique idea! Thanks for sharing, visiting via Creaive Bloggers' Party & Hop

LV said...

How fortunate you are. You can make everyone a lovely candle and not have to fight the crowds. Nicely done.

Gayle said...

Oh my goodness, love this! You should go over to pintrest and pin this!
Blessings,
Gayle from Behind the Gate

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Super charming!! Sharing this at tonights party- thanks for linking up at FNF! :)