Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Holiday Stocking Tutorial

These holiday stockings are one of my favorite holiday projects. I've made more than I can count. I've given them as gifts to friends and sold them at our holiday tag sales.

 
And the fun part is that no two are ever exactly alike!

 
Last year we put one on the wreath we donated to our local arts council wreath auction.
 

And Megan has one hanging on the hutch in her dining room.
 
 
Now here's the scoop on how to make one of your own. You can change up the size, the fabric and the embellishments. What a great way to use the little odds and ends you have on hand. Just start with a simple stocking shape. Since I usually make them in batches, I draw a pattern on a piece of poster board. But you can draw right on your fabric. Just double your fabric, wrong sides together.
 

Cut our your stocking and stitch it up, leaving the top open for stuffing.
 

This is what your stocking looks like just after stitching.
 

At this point I like to iron it so the edges are nice and crisp.
 
 
 Then just fold down the top about an inch or so and add a loop for hanging. I like to stitch the loop for security and use a bit of hot glue on the underside of the fold.
 
 
 Next the entire stocking gets stuffed with batting.
 
 
I like an organic feel, so I cover the top with moss. A little hot glue holds it all together.
 
 
Now you get to decorate your stocking with whatever you like. I usually start with a wide piece of ribbon or burlap.
 
 
Then add branches, greenery and berries, whatever you have on hand. And don't limit yourself to a holiday mix. I especially like ferns and a mix of greens. Just hot glue it all in place leaving space for another layer of ribbon.
 
 
Now your glue is completely hidden and everything is secure.
 

Just tie it up nice and pretty!
 
 
 

Then for a finishing touch, add a little more moss and embellishments like bells, ornaments, pinecones, etc...
 
 
And there you have it...
 
 
a cute little stocking!
 
 
Actually, I think they are fun when they are kind of big. These stockings were about 24 inches from top to toe. But like I said, you can make any size you like.
 
 

And I've used all sorts of fabrics, including vintage ticking, dropcloth scraps and burlap.






And for a snowy look, give your stocking a light spritz with spray adhesive and dust with snow.



If you've been here before, you know I rarely make just one of something. So every holiday season there is a day or two when I wake up and just make stockings all day long. It's commonly known around here as the stocking frenzy!


I'm linking to...
The Girl Creative Photobucket Whipperberry The Shabby Nest Photobucket http://www.findingfabulousblog.com/ </ 504 Main Catch a Glimpse Button
Photobucket Beyond The Picket Fence

Shanty 2 Chic

Craftberry Bush

 
 

25 comments:

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

I love your stockings! I pinned them so I will remember to make some next year! Thank you so much for the tutorial...hugs, Penny

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

These stockings are so beautiful. I just love them. I looked at all the pics slowly as they scrolled down and I just oooohhhhhed and aweeeeewed ..love love loved them. Thanks for showing us how to make someething so beautiful. I will be trying to make one.. If mine turns out half as good as this I will be happy .......... Hugs

Artsy VaVa said...

Your stockings are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!!!

regan said...

These are gorgeous! And I'm all about that 'frenzy' crafty time! Cuz that just makes sense; you have all the stuff out and ready, why not go nuts and make a bunch! Right!?! lol

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Wow--you've been busy! They are beautiful :)

Dawn said...

Love them, they are so darn clever. Great color choices too.

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Your stockings are so beautiful, Sharon. You have such a talent for decorating and these stockings are no exception. :) Thanks for sharing your tutorial. :) Megan

Transformations By Jacqueline said...

Beautiful job! Lovely! Congratulations...

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Love love love them!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

these are adorable!!! i love the shape they have!

Twice Nice said...

Love your stockings! I've pinned them so I can get some made up for my girlfriends!

Laura said...

Those are fantastic. Thanks for the tutorial.

Good Time Charlie said...

What a great idea! Something totally different than the traditional Christmas wreath. Definitely pinning this one. When my sewing machine starts working again, which I hope is soon.....I am adding this to my list!

Ali Richardson said...

SO pretty! I love all the different varieties :)

NanaDiana said...

Sharon, Great tutorial and those are just so cute. I love the touch of burlap and gingham, too. They are perfect for hanging just about anywhere! xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

I guess that isn't really gingham, is it? More of a plaid....

Unknown said...

Love these-so festive-I'm featuring this on my Saturday Holiday faves-Have a great weekend-Claire

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

very festive indeed! Love the red and white one the best...too darn cute Sharon!

Fabrizia F. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! It was a pleasure to attend your party!

www.fabtwigs.com

Leslie Harris said...

Sharon I've already bookmarked this post. These look so adorable and I think they'll make cute little gifts for neighbors. Thanks for sharing.
Leslie (aka Gwen Moss)

Katie said...

These are gorgeous Sharon! I love all the different combinations you've made! The little stripey fabric ones are my favorite! They look great in the wreaths as well!

Stacey said...

I love these! Just adorable!
Thanks for sharing!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Jocie@TheBetterHalf said...

This is sooo pretty, Sharon! :)

hula-la said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS..Thank you soooo much for sharing! Gonna give it a go...

Crystelle Boutique said...

What a fun vintage style stocking!

hugs x
Crystelle