Friday, March 1, 2013

Adventures in Decorating

This is not one of those neat little posts with an ugly before and a whole lot of pretty after pictures. It's more of a work in progress kind of post. ... We've been working on updating our upstairs for more months that I care to count. This week we finally had new carpet installed. ... Once we got rid of the pinky beige paint color that was totally making me crazy, the carpet selection process was pretty easy. ... We have a relatively small second floor with a somewhat narrow hallway. I wanted a simple neutral plush carpet to run uniformly throughout the whole space. I choose Mohawk SmartStrand in Bamboo - totally neutral, lifetime stain protection, exceptionally durable, incredibly soft and eco-friendly - perfect. No I'm not being compensated to say nice things about them. I just did a ton of research and if you're in the market for carpet, this might be a good option for you too.
Now you know that when you have a house full of furniture, every single piece has to be moved in order to install carpet. I have to say, that part was not fun!
No this is not the bathroom of a hoarder, I promise.
And yes, this really is a bathtub.
Don't even think about using this bathroom!
It was like packing up for a move!
Even the closet doors had to go!
It was like musical funiture, one room to the next!
And did I mention that it's a really dirty process?
Finally, it was time for padding - soft and squishy with a moisture barrier. Now that would have been really nice when we had kids and pets at home.
And finally the carpet went down.

Out with the old and in with the new!


Pretty disgusting, right?
Okay, let's see a before and after ...
All fresh and pretty!

Oh, I just realized that I never shared Ryan's plank wall. Details to come, I promise!
It took me the better part of two days to put everything back. And you'd think that would be the end, right? Well nobody told me that when they squeeze big rolls of carpet through doorways, they pretty much wreck the paint on your trim!


Seriously?




Really not fun at all!


I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea -ugh!


So this is what's happening today. Is the sight of paint cans on brand new carpet really scary - absolutely!!!
So if you've been wondering what I did all week, let's just say I spent the entire week upstairs - whew! ... And now on to what I hope is the last part of this project - I have all new curtains upstairs and they all need hemmed. But after this crazy week, that should be a piece of cake!

Hopefully in the very near future I can write a post that says - my upstairs is DONE!!!!!
And hopefully we will see sunshine once again and I can take some really pretty pictures!

23 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a huge job but I hope the new carpeting was worth it in the long run. The installers should be doing the painting!

chateau chic said...

Your new carpet makes your home looks so fresh and pretty. I hate the process of big projects, but the after is certainly wonderful.
Mary Alice

Our Pinteresting Family said...

The new carpet looks great! :)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

New carpet feels sooo good! I'm sure your memory of the process will fade quickly, and you will just LOVE your freshened-up spaces!

Artsy Matilda said...

Wow! Absolutely gorgeous!
Congratulations! Your energy is astounding to me! Most impressive! I, too, hope we see the sun soon.
xo

Unknown said...

Such a huge job. Makes me want to live with my upstairs carpet for awhile longer. Nice choice of color :) Patti@OldThingsNew

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Great color choice! It really looks nice and I'm sure feels great too!

We are ready to order carpet and are also not looking forward to the emptying out, etc. What we might do this time is have them do two of the rooms in one shot and the third awhile later. It's so hard to find places for all of that furniture.

Enjoy!
Pam

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Congratulations on getting such a big job done--enjoy your beautiful new carpet!

Debbie @ MeandMyDIY said...

Oh Sharon, it looks so clean and fresh. I know you're glad to get that checked off your list. But I'm so sorry about all the scuffs on your trim. Ugh. No fun! Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your upstairs. Have a great weekend!

Debbie

Twice Nice said...

Ok, I USED to want new carpet too, but man that looks like a lot of work!! It looks great though so must be all worth it!

Leslie Harris said...

I know it's been so much work, but looks like you're almost there! And I'm so excited for you too Sharon. It's looks so clean and fresh!
Leslie (Gwen Moss)

EveryDay Bloom said...

I actually breathed a sigh of relief as I scrolled down to the pics that showed the carpet in and the furniture no longer in your bathtub. Intense, intense stuff, re-doing such a major space. Hooray for new carpet! Lynaea @ EverydayBloom.com

priscilla said...

Looks wonderful , except for what they did to your paint !

My Repurposed Life said...

what a job! just prepping for it all. I had no idea they had moisture proof padding? how cool is that!
the carpet and the rooms look great Sharon... but that trim. How dare they. painting with new carpet? that's just wrong! So sorry you have the added work of all that touch up. :(
you're in the homestretch now girl!
good luck!
gail

Hetty said...

you must be so happy this job is finished! Carpet looks great Sharon!

Anne said...

Your carpet looks beautiful! Nothing like new flooring in a house!
xx
Anne

Ali Richardson said...

WOW! what a huge undertaking. Beautiful fresh new carpet :) Love it!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

The carpet looks great and I am sorry to hear that they damaged your walls (shame on them). We need new carpet in our bedrooms and I don't look forward to the installing part of it.

Blessings,
Linda

Sayuri said...

Wow, that must've been a LOT of work!
But your new carpet makes the house really fresh, so I hope it was woth it.
Would you do it aganin thugh?lol

BTW, your garage doors are so pretty:)

Cassie Bustamante said...

oooh i love fresh carpet- it is a huge pain, but so awesome to have!!!

Melissa@daisymaebelle.com said...

What a process! Well worth it in the end, but a pain in the neck to go through. We had hardwood put in downstairs last year. I think it might be worse than moving?! I know it will be beautiful! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Laurel Stephens said...

I can feel your pain over the scraped-up trim. (Those carpet layers owe you a couple of gallons of really expensive Benjamin Moore Paint in your favorite vintage colors, if you ask me.) That said, I can also feel your joy and satisfaction from having fresh beautiful new carpet and having everything back in place. An ENORMOUSLY difficult job completed! Yipppeee!!

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful! I'm so glad you wrote this post! We're looking at replacing ALL of our flooring soon. We have a small house, but I know it will still be a huge undertaking. I've been trying to figure out whether we should paint trim before or after, and now I know!