Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Spring Burlap Wreaths With Flowers and Nests

If you've been here before, you probably know that my favorite craft project is making wreaths!
 


The girls at Elizabeth & Co. have at least one vintage tag sale per season and I love making a new batch of wreaths for each sale. I call it a wreath making frenzy because I like to break out all the supplies and make a great big batch of wreaths all at once.



Our spring sale is coming up in just a few weeks and nothing says spring more than wreaths with pretty spring flowers and cute little bird nests, complete with eggs! And I love tucking in little pieces of moss for softness. The moss also helps to knit everything together.


 
These wreaths all started with a basic burlap ruffled wreath and they were a snap to create. If you haven't already made one, here's a quick tutorial.
 
 
All you need is a wire wreath form, a roll of burlap, floral wire (sting would work too) and a pair of scissors.
 

Use a small piece of wire to attach the end of the burlap to your wreath form.


Then working from the back of your wreath, simply push the burlap up through the rows of wire, creating small loops.  Here's the first loop.


And here are the first three loops, one in each section of wire.

 
Just keep pushing loops through the rows, top to bottom, then back up again. For this wreath, I used a 12" wreath form and 1 roll of burlap (10 yd).
 

The amount of burlap you need will be determined by the size of your wreath form, the number of loops per section (you can go tight or loose) and how big you make your loops. The key is to make each section consistent. If you like the look of the first section, count the loops per row and just repeat it in the next section. An easy way to be sure each loop is about the same is to use your fingers as a guide. I used two fingers to measure each loop as I went along.


I just stuck my fingers in the loop and pulled the loop down from the back side until it was somewhat snug. For a looser look, use three fingers. I also find these wreaths easier to make by sitting on the sofa and holding the wreath form on my lap (with the burlap rolling across the floor), rather than sitting at a table.
 

You also want the loops to look a little twisty, not exactly a technical term, but you get the idea.

 
And don't forget to add a little wire to the back for hanging.
 
 
These burlap wreaths are cute all on their own or they can be embellished in a million different ways.
 
 
But if you're like me, you are thinking SPRING at the moment!
 
 
And of course there are more wreaths to share, this was a frenzy after all!

I'm sharing with ...
Beyond the Picket Fence
Jennifer Rizzo
504 Main
My Repurposed Life

32 comments:

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Gorgeous! Love it!

Laurel Stephens said...

Beautiful! I love the finger-measurement tip. I also really love craft projects I can do in my lap at night while watching TV. Great tutorial!

Cassie Bustamante said...

is it like field of dreams.... if you build it they will come. if i hang this on my door, spring will come. so pretty!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sharon,
These are all so very pretty and put me in a SPRIND mood. Thanks for sharing how you did the ribbon.

Blessings,
Linda

LeeAnne, Style N Season said...

My goodness! Burlap didn't surprise me. Neither did the flowers. But the bird nest with the pale blue eggs, that's so unique!!!
I rarely comment on blogs, but I feel like I have to now. ^__^

Visit me:
LeeAnne, Style N Season
http://stylenseason.blogspot.com

priscilla said...

Love all your wreaths !

Our Pinteresting Family said...

They are all beautiful, Sharon! :)

My Repurposed Life said...

yep,I know you're the wreath queen Sharon! You make it look so easy! Loving these spring wreaths.... I'm so over winter!

gail

Hetty said...

This is such a lovely wreath! Thanks for the detailed tutorial Sharon.

Barbara @ 21 Rosemary Lane said...

You just can't go wrong with a burlap wreath and yours is so pretty Sharon! I love that us screams SPRING!!!
Have a great weekend!!!
XO Barbara

Cindy DIY beautify said...

So pretty Sharon...the eggs and nests are just darling! Your tutorial is really wonderful too!!

Unknown said...

Good morning! I love this wreath and the tutorial, so I'll be featuring it on my 'Weekly Wonders' post tomorrow morning. Thanks for sharing! ~Lisa @ Practically Perfect Home

Marie-Interior Frugalista said...

Your burlap wreath is so pretty Sharon - it caught my eye over at the Fabulously Creative Party! I made a Spring wreath last year but I think I'm going to add a pretty bird's nest & robin's egg to mine this year - so pretty. Thanks for the inspiration!
Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

Twice Nice said...

I've been admiring and pinning your wreaths all over Pinterest so decided I better get over here and check out your tutorial. These are so very pretty! What a welcome sight too with this schizophrenic weather we've been having. Bring on the bird nests I say!

Custom Comforts said...

What pretty happy wreaths! Just perfect to cheer us up after this long winter.
Cindy

Nancy said...

I love wreaths, and I love to make them, too. Yours is so charming. I'm pinning it. Thanks for sharing. ~ Nancy

Michele said...

Thanks for sharing this neat way to make a wreath from burlap. I will have to try this, and your wreath is so perfectly shaped and pretty.

Have a sweet day,

Michele
Pearl 13.1

Holly Lefevre said...

It is so pretty! I love just about anything with nests and eggs...and on a burlap wreath...so perfect

Vintage Paint and more... said...

Sharon, these are beautiful and so Springy... love the tutorial... Cathy

Shannon said...

Very cute. I'm going to try one. Thanks for the tutorial.

Shannon ~ bohemianjunktion.com

Pamela said...

Those are fantastic! Thanx for sharing the how to. Off to Pin. Thanx for joining THt!

pam {simple details} said...

I always love those wreaths whenever I see them, and I've never made one!! Yours are beautiful and quite fitting for our Best of the Nest party! :) Thanks so much for stopping by, Elizabeth!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Sharon your wreath is so cute and versatile! Thank you for the tutorial. I need to get that burlap ribbon and make one soon - I imagine it would be great for all 4 seasons depending on how you decorate it. Thanks for sharing at Best of the Nest!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Super sweet! Love how you added the birds nest and eggs. Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
Blessings,
Cindy

Nancy said...

I Love this, and always wanted to make one. Thanks for sharing how~

Huggs, Nancy

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your wreaths are beautiful! I bet they don't last long at your sale! Visiting from MMM.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a gorgeous spring wreath! I love the nest and eggs with the burlap! Thanks for joining THE SCOOP!

Tara said...

Love these! I'm going to have to pin your post to try to make one later! Happy Spring!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! & Spring like. Thank you for sharing.

The Style Sisters said...

love the wreath with the birds nest! I would love it if you would come join us for Centerpiece Wednesday on my blog and share your creativity with us. http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2014/03/centerpiece-wednesday-115-see-and-share.html Hope you will come and party with us.
Karin 

Kathy said...

Sharon, your wreath is beautiful - wonderful tutorial! I was doing it the hard way ;) I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Laura Everyday Edits said...

Hi Sharon- Best photo of how to weave the burlap through the frame! Ijust pinned it! This post is a feature at Friday Favorites at http://imnotatrophywife.com Thanks for the support!! laura