Thursday, June 5, 2014

Lessons Learned in Four Years of Blogging!

It's hard to believe, but this little blog of mine is now four years old!

{photo credit}
 
I started blogging for one simple reason ... I was in the process of teaming up with the girls to start Elizabeth & Co. Vintage and we were planning our very first tag sale. I thought the blog would be a fun way to chronicle that adventure ... just a couple of girls chasing after a dream.

 
Well our little business has grown into much more than we could have imagined and we now host five sales a year. We have met the most amazing people and we just love that we get to share our passion for recycling and repurposing, and all things old, crusty and rusty. We like to say that our mission is to convert the world to vintage, one tag sale at a time!

 
One of the things that I did not anticipate about writing a blog is the that I would form genuine friendships with other bloggers ... people I would otherwise never have an opportunity to meet. I've always been fascinated by the way that people connect in real life. You meet someone and instantly know that you will be friends for life. Other times, it just doesn't happen. Well funny thing, it works the same way in the blog world! I am inspired by my friends in the blog world and I learn from and with them. I can often anticipate exactly what they will say and I can pick their projects out of a line-up in a heartbeat. And sometimes, I share their joys and sorrows!
 
 
The biggest lesson I've learned is that your blog is your own little place in the world. Other than the golden rule of "just be nice", there really are no rules. There are all kinds of articles out there about how to have the best blog, attract the most followers or make the most money. You can certainly learn from them. But at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is what you want your blog to be. Blogging can be extremely time-consuming. You need to find your own balance. Post every day or post once a month, be social or just write as a way to sort out your thoughts. Take on advertising and sponsors or not, it's all up to you. You can buy a fancy camera and stylize all your photos or share a unfiltered candid moment.You can keep it all business or share your deep dark thoughts, your musings, your life. If you are being honest and genuine, it really doesn't matter. Just like the real world ... be yourself, find your own voice and don't compare yourself to anyone else!
 
 
This little blog does not have a grand plan. I have no idea where it's going or what comes next. I take it one post at a time. It's just my little place in the world. But I do know that I am most appreciative of the opportunity to share and be a part of it all. My life has been enriched by the people I've met along the way. Thanks so much for being here and sharing this adventure with me and the girls at Elizabeth & Co!
 

30 comments:

Poppy said...

Happy 4th, Sharon!! I enjoy your parties and your posts very much and thanks again for hosting every week. Case in point: today's special post is exactly what I look for in a blog/blogger - in short, just being genuine, polite, and sharing what inspires you!

Happy weekend!

Poppy

White Lace and Promises said...

I found your blog through Coastal Charm and your blog is charming. I love your shop. Wow, just love it and wish I could visit. You're right about being real and just letting your blog what you want it to be. I starting blogging as a way to express my grief over losing both parents within 6 months of each other, but then it became a fun way to share ideas. Then I become obsessed with followers and comments and it was no longer fun. When I decided to make it again what I wanted it to be, I connected with really great friends who I share with everyday. I'm glad I found you and I'll be looking for you on my reading list.

Bonnie

Judy Pimperl said...

Happy Birthday to you for your blog...it's a beautiful thing!
Judypimperl.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to your blog! Love seeing all your projects w/a bit of your life mixed in. You inspire me to be more creative.

Your Florida Friend, Missy!

Renaissance Women said...

Happy 4th Anniversary, Sharon! I love your blog and I have been carving out my Tuesday morning as my special 'me' time for over a year now. I look forward excitedly to Year Five!

~ Cassandra from Renaissance Women

Cassie Bustamante said...

YAY!!! i am so glad you decided to go for it 4 years ago! i have enjoyed knowing more about you ever since. :)

RPK Interiors said...

Happy Four Year Anniversary, Sharon! Thank you so much for allowing us into your world...I always look forward to your posts and creativity!
Robin

Vintage Paint and more... said...

Happy 4th anniversary Sharon.. Your blog was one of the first blogs I started to read and continue to read. I look forward to seeing what you are up to each week... Here's to another 4 great years... Cathy

NanaDiana said...

Happy 4th, Sharon. You are a blogger that I am glad to have met in this big crazy blog world....one I know that I would like if we met in person. I think we would share a few laughs and enjoy a good chat (over a cup of coffee, I hope).

You are a dear person and I am so glad you are blogging- xo Diana

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to you for your blog.
I love these decorating ideas. The designs are so vibrant and the view is so happy and cheerful.
apartment-designed

Unknown said...

Happy 4th Year Anniversary! I look forward to continuing following along with you, Sharon.

Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

The Painted Drawer said...

Happy Four Year Anniversary! I love your blog and look forward to every Tuesday in particular to see the features you post. Great advice and I am taking it! Suzanne

Susan - Uniquely Yours or Mine said...

Happy anniversary!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Congrats! Your blog is great. I'm your newest follower!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad that I've met you through blogging. Who knew one of the first bloggers I would be following would literally live only a few minutes away. You are a special lady, Sharon!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Happy anniversary to one of my most favorite bloggers! I've enjoyed getting to know you through your blog.

the cape on the corner said...

yay, happy blogiversary!

Laura Everyday Edits said...

Congratulations Sharon! Your blog is one of my favorite places to visit!
laura

Laurel Stephens said...

I can say with conviction that your blog has been an honest reflection of who you are from the very first. Sweet, caring, smart, nice, generous, enthusiastic, energetic, and full of creativity and talent. That's your blog and that's you! Happy Anniversary, Sharon!

Hetty said...

Congrats Sharon! You are a wonderful inspiration to me, and I am happy you go on with blogging and refurbishing furniture.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I love your description of what blogs are. They are anything you can possibly dream up! I love that there are all sorts of blogs in all shapes and sizes. Four years is a big deal.

Congratulations!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Happy Blog Anniversary! I very much agree. There is no right or wrong way. Just "your own" way to blog.
Brenda

My Repurposed Life said...

Happy Blogiversary! The blog world is a better place because you're here! I look forward to many more years of Elizabeth and Co.

gail

Unknown said...

Happy 4th blogiversary to you Sharon! Yours is one of the first blogs I began following and linking up to and it is still one of my favorite places to come. I love the advice you've given here about just being yourself. You have done that yourself and that is what makes us all love you!
Blessings to you dear lady,
Patti

My Repurposed Life said...

working on my no-reply status. did I fix it?

gail

Simply Suzannes at Home said...

Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

I love this post Sharon! I loved reading your thoughts about blogging and what this blog means to you.
You're a beautiful lady!
So happy to have 'met' you!
Wishing you many more successful years!
Big hugs,
Suzanne

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sharon,
It has been four years of a lot of FUN! I am happy that I have met you here in blogland and hope we have another four years.

Blessings,
Linda

Unknown said...

Love this post!! Congrats!!!
http://curvehospitality.com/

Katie said...

Happy 4 years Sharon!

Leslie Harris said...

Sharon congratulations on your blog birthday! I'm always so interested to read the musings of other bloggers on this topic and I have to tell you that your words of wisdom are so warm and reassuring. Just like your personality. It's not a surprise the your blog is so successful! I love your outlook on blogging, your 'only rule' on being nice, and making your blog what you want it to be. Sort of a no pressure view of blogging that really is refreshing. I hope to be back soon when I feel like I have something to offer. And in the meantime, your words mean a lot.
xo
Leslie
ps. I love that shade of blue on the dresser in today's post.