Thursday, August 28, 2014

Back-to-School with New Furniture

Every girl heading back-to-school needs a desk.
 

And if she's a college student moving into her first apartment, she needs a dresser, a nightstand and a mirror too!
 
 
I recently completed this project for Molly. Her mom came to visit me in the spring and we went snooping through the garage together. I had just picked up this dresser and nightstand at an estate sale.
 
 
And this desk has been hiding in the dark recesses of my garage for a while now.
 
 
Molly was hoping for a chair with an upholstered seat and I was thrilled when this one popped up at a yard sale.


It's sometimes hard to find a chair narrow enough to fit the opening of an older desk and this one was perfect!


The color is Martha Stewart's Popcorn mixed in Behr's Premium Plus, then mixed with my homemade chalk paint recipe. I'm still painting the majority of my furniture in the homemade chalk paint. It mixes easily, covers great and I just really like the flatter finish. I still prep with a light sanding and a good scrubbing with TSP Substitute. And my go-to top coat on most pieces is clear Fiddes & Sons wax. It goes on smoothly and dries really fast. I had been using a wax brush for a while, but found that I really prefer a soft cloth for application and buffing.

 
I love the floral detail on the chair.


And Molly chose a fun fabric for the seat!
 
 
We updated all the hardware for a fresh look and to coordinate the pieces.



 
I thought this nightstand was especially cute!
 

 
Molly is attending a small liberal arts college in my hometown - how is that for a unexpected coincidence!

 
I hope your school year is off to a great start Molly.
It was pleasure working with you and you mom!
 
 
I'm sharing with ...
 

11 comments:

Our Pinteresting Family said...

They all look so pretty. I really think you made a great choice with the fabric.

Laurel Stephens said...

It sounds like your garage is a community treasure! What a lucky young lady to have this beautiful set with which to start out. Your paint finishes always look as smooth as silk, Sharon; just gorgeous. And I love the combination of glass knobs and handles. Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Just beautiful Sharon - what transformations !
xox

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

WOW! Great finishes am sure Molly loves them

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Cute set!

My Repurposed Life said...

such a sweet set for back to school OR any other occasion. Beautiful makeover on all the pieces Sharon.

too hot here to paint outside. :( I would be a hot mess, sweat dripping on the pieces.

have a great weekend!
gail

Cassie Bustamante said...

love all of those chunky knobs- they are so fun! the desk is my favorite!

Unknown said...

Those are beautiful pieces and you always do such a nice finish. The hardware is the crowning touch.

Hetty said...

These are lovely pieces! Love the perfect shade of white, and I guess that is ready to get started with school!

Donna Jones Photography said...

Hi Sharon,
I am so excited to be featured on your beautiful site. I was also excited to find the other blogs you featured. I plan to start a grandma camp like Grandparents Plus! Thanks for all the great info! Donna Jones, The Radish Patch

Donna Jones Photography said...

Hi Sharon,
I am so excited to be featured on your beautiful site. I was also excited to find the other blogs you featured. I plan to start a grandma camp like Grandparents Plus! Thanks for all the great info! Donna Jones, The Radish Patch