Thursday, September 4, 2014

Classic Red & White Cabinet

I love the nostalgic feel of this red and white cabinet!


This one came from a woman who was moving to Florida to start a new life in an artistic community. I really admired her spunk! The cabinet had once belonged to her grandmother. It was now being used as a bookcase and the doors were removed and stashed in the basement. The drawer had been lost in a move somewhere along the way. I brought it home in pieces, just the way you see it.


The inside of the cabinet had been painted red to coordinate with the pulls - a good idea in theory, but I was pretty quick to break out some primer!


After two coats of primer over the red, the entire cabinet got two coats of creamy white homemade chalk paint. I didn't even consider another color. This one was a classic and white just felt right!


The door pulls are original red plastic and super cute!


We cut a panel to cover the drawer opening. So yes, it's a faux drawer!

 
I had two red knobs in my stash, so of course I had to use them.


I finished the piece with a light distressing and a coat of clear wax.


I really love the way this one turned out. It's not a dramatic change. We just brought it back to life as it was intended to be. And I think it's pretty adorable!

 
I'm sharing with ...
 

18 comments:

Robin Johnson said...

What a great cabinet! I'm always crushing on the red and white combo

marie said...

Love this piece! The knobs were a perfect addition.

Laurel Stephens said...

It is adorable, and I can picture it perfectly in a cute retro kitchen. How lucky that you had some red knobs.

Cassie Bustamante said...

i can totally picture this filled with aqua pyrex!

Elizabeth said...

I love it! My Grandmother and other older relatives had these in there kitchens and called them pie safes, but they used them for putting the left overs from the noon meal in and saving for supper.

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Barbara @ 21 Rosemary Lane said...

Super cabinet Sharon! Love the classic feel of the red on white. You did a wonderful job!
XO Barbara

Laurie said...

Oooohhhhh! I love it! I have a cabinet/pie safe in my kitchen that is quite old, belonged to my husband's family long ago. I'm at a loss what to do of refinish it, or just let it be! I love yours, it turned out perfect!

My Repurposed Life said...

oh my gosh Sharon! It's like Mary Poppins Practically perfect in every way!

I truly love the way you brought this cabinet back to life.
gail

Twice Nice said...

love, love how that red pops off the white! And it's not such a strong color commitment that it scares people off. Perfection!

The Painted Drawer said...

I love it - so charming!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Such a lovely piece and I love the chosen colors. Truly a lovely makeover, I do love red, so it's a yes in my book.

Hetty said...

Love this cabinet Sharon! Yes, the red hardware (so cute) make all the difference. Thanks for sharing!

Danielle said...

So pretty!

the girlfriend gap said...

delightful with the read handles :) Janita

mary scott said...

I love it! What a shame about the drawer. You did a fabulous make over. Would be perfect in my breakfast nook. :)

Pam said...

I love it....I have seen these around forever and I love the red and white. Amazing job.

Kathy said...

This looks amazing! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy